Friday, September 24, 2010

Roasted beets and potato




I love roasted vegetables. I don't make them very often because it takes a while to chop them all up then another 45 minutes to roast them. I don't have time or energy for that after work.

Last winter, it occurred to me to chop in the morning or the night before, which would give the veggies a lot of time to soak up their seasonings. Now I do it more often, including yesterday for the first time this season. Here's my favorite way to make them.

Roasted Veggies
  • 1# root veggies, including garlic and onions
  • <1/4 cup oil (olive and/or canola)
  • 2Tbs Balsamic vinegar
  • 2 tsp dried or 1 tsp fresh thyme
  • 1 tsp dried or 1/2 tsp fresh rosemary
  • salt and pepper
Chop the veggies. I like to make then about 1/4" because they cook faster. Mix seasonings and oil together. Pour over veggies and mix. 425 degrees, greased sheet or Silpat, 40-60 minutes depending on amount and size of veg. Stir every 15 minutes.

I had fresh herbs and I used more than called for. For veggies, I used yellow (from the deck boxes) and red beets, purple potatoes, and garlic. I had 1/2# and it was just a little too much for me for dinner. Nutmeg and Eric aren't too keen on roasted mixed veggies.

Before I started using Balsamic vinegar, I liked the following:

Roasted Veggies II
  • 1# root veggies
  • 2 cloves garlic, quartered
  • 1 Tbs olive oil
  • 1/2 Tbs fresh herbs such as rosemary, sage, thyme
  • sea or kosher salt and pepper
Same directions as above.

I guess it's nearly the same recipe, isn't it?

No comments:

Post a Comment