I love roasted vegetables. I don't make them very often because it takes a while to chop them all up then another 45 minutes to roast them. I don't have time or energy for that after work.
Last winter, it occurred to me to chop in the morning or the night before, which would give the veggies a lot of time to soak up their seasonings. Now I do it more often, including yesterday for the first time this season. Here's my favorite way to make them.
- 1# root veggies, including garlic and onions
- <1/4 cup oil (olive and/or canola)
- 2Tbs Balsamic vinegar
- 2 tsp dried or 1 tsp fresh thyme
- 1 tsp dried or 1/2 tsp fresh rosemary
- salt and pepper
I had fresh herbs and I used more than called for. For veggies, I used yellow (from the deck boxes) and red beets, purple potatoes, and garlic. I had 1/2# and it was just a little too much for me for dinner. Nutmeg and Eric aren't too keen on roasted mixed veggies.
Before I started using Balsamic vinegar, I liked the following:
Roasted Veggies II
- 1# root veggies
- 2 cloves garlic, quartered
- 1 Tbs olive oil
- 1/2 Tbs fresh herbs such as rosemary, sage, thyme
- sea or kosher salt and pepper
I guess it's nearly the same recipe, isn't it?