- 3 c oatmeal or other rolled grains
- 1-2 c chopped nuts (walnuts, cashews, almonds, etc)
- pinch salt unless nuts or seeds are salted
- 1/2 c coconut
- 1/2 c wheat germ
- 1/4 c sesame, flax, or sunflower seeds
- 1-2 tsp cinnamon or other spices depending on nuts and dried fruit
- 1/4 c oil + applesauce OR 3/4 c applesauce (increase time by at least 15 mins)
- scant 3 Tbs molasses (scant 1/3c for double batch)
- heavy 3 Tbs honey (1/3 c for double batch)
250 oven for 1 hour 15 minutes, stirring and shifting oven position every 15 minutes. When cool, add dry fruit to taste.
Walnut orange: 4 Tbs orange peel (although I make my own and its not very strong as I don't take much pith off; YMMV).
Peanut butter: Substitute 1/2 c peanut butter for oil, shorten bake time to 1 hour.
Sun oven: 1 hour with lid on, stir once. I didn't care for the taste as it doesn't dry out as much as in the oven.
Misc: If I don't have nuts, seeds, or coconut, I leave them out. If it's all of the above, I put in more oats to replace the lots bulk. I've used wheat bran instead of wheat germ since I had it once. If you prefer honey or molasses, they are interchangeable; I love molasses but I did not like it when I did more than just under 50% molasses.
Since we eat so much and it stores well in the freezer, I usually make 2-3 batches at once. Either size will fit in 2 9x13 pans or a roasting pan (increase time by 15 mins).
This morning, I forgot the coconut as when I prepped the dry last night, I wanted to grate it fresh. But I didn't leave a reminder out and remember after it had been cooking. I did it with all applesauce, which I've surely done before, but it seemed much moister than usual and I baked it at least 30 minutes extra, maybe an hour. I made orange-walnut, with clementine zest from early spring.