Sunday, July 18, 2010

Scottish scones

It was a beautiful sunny day, so I wanted to bake something in the Sun Oven. I had a lot of other things on my to-do list, so I didn't want to try something new so went back to an old favorite, Scottish Scones. I adapted this to have the least sugar and butter that the recipe could stand and we still loved.

This is what I compare all my other scone recipes to. This is what I think of when I think of a scone.

Scottish Scones (adapted from Pillsbury)
  • 1 1/2 c flour (ap, mix whole wheat and ap, or up to 50% ww pastry flour)
  • 3/4 c rolled oats
  • <1/4c packed brown sugar
  • 2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • 7 Tbs butter
  • 1/2 c raisins, chopped apple, or other dried fruit (if cranberries, add extra sugar)
  • 1/2 c milk
Combine dry and mix well. Cut in butter until crumbly.  Add milk all at once. Stir just until moistened. Knead 5 or 6 times. Will be very sticky. Place on greased/Silpat cookie sheet. Press in 6" round, 1" thick. Brush with milk and sprinkle with cinnamon sugar. Cut into 8 wedges.

375 25-30 minutes or Sun Oven ~45 minutes (unless the sun goes behind clouds and then it takes longer, like this morning). Cut out a scone and check for doneness (will be nearly dry).

Apple Cheddar: 1 chopped apple, 1/4c shredded cheese

I almost always make a double batch, which just barely fits on one cookie sheet. Can do with only 13 Tbs butter.

With all whole wheat pastry flour, they are too crumbly. Half works just fine.

Note: I gave in and edited the scone picture. In keeping with the Imperfect Kitchen, I told myself I was not allowed to do anything special when taking photos and no fixing anything on the computer. I forgot to take pictures when they were still in the pan. I couldn't get close enough without getting a shadow on the scone, so the picture was mostly not scones. So I quickly cropped it. I also took these and the granola outside--but it was dark in the house due to shades being closed from the sun.

No comments:

Post a Comment