Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Roasted banana ice cream

For unknown reasons, a recipe for Roasted Banana Ice Cream (scroll way down past the interview for the recipe) caught my eye recently. I made it Sunday and we had it last night. I didn't set out to make three banana dishes; it just kind of happened. And, to my dismay, turns out my brother isn't a big banana fan. But he did enjoy all three dishes anyway!

I had two problems with the ice cream. First, it says to roast the bananas for 40 minutes. My burned at about minute 35. Luckily, I was right there so I rescued most of it. But I did lost a good bit of bananas and most of the caramelized sauce. One commenter suggested putting in raw banana for more flavor, so I just put in half a raw banana. I later realized why this happened: 1. I have a baking stone I always leave in the oven since I bake bread so much. The roasting was on top of this. Probably a bad idea. 2. It called for a 2 quart pan, which was weird since usually baking pans are in inches. So I just used my 9x13 pan, which put them all on one layer. After the single stir, it was more like a few bunches of mashed banana rather than coating the whole pan. Yesterday I realized a 2 quart pan would be a casserole dish (in which, of course, you only make hot dish, not casserole). That would have about 1/2 the surface area. Will try again as it was a neat taste.

The second problem is that it froze very quickly in my ice cream machine. And then it became hard as a rock in my freezer. I've only had that happen once or twice before. We had to microwave the ice cream to get it out in time to eat before Ninja class! I'm not sure why this happens (one of my ice cream books would probably tell me why). Perhaps the fat content?

The major modification I made is that I had skim milk and 2% but not the called-for whole. I usually use heavy cream and skim for my ice cream, so I was going to get cream. But the store didn't have any in my preferred brand, so I got 1/2 and 1/2. Which I thought would get me in the vicinity of whole when mixed with skim. As I was about to make the mix, I checked my ice cream book and found a chart of fat content. 1/2 and 1/2 is about 30% fat while whole is about 4%. Whoa! I needed a whole lot of skim and not much of that to equal whole milk! I guesstimated and did 1.5 cups skim and 1/2 c 1/2 and 1/2.

Or maybe the sugar, since I ended up with less of the caramelized sauce than planned.

No picture as it's not a pretty ice cream. It's rather brown with bits of darker brown in it. Quite yummy. We also put Reese's Magic Shell on top (chocolate and peanut butter and bananas, oh wow!).

No comments:

Post a Comment